March 5, 2014

Hitting the Escape Button

photo by michaelaw 
I finally hit mega-overload this week. This is the time when I want to quit every single thing in my life and my family's life. When I start planning minimalist calendars and schedules. When I seriously consider converting to the Amish faith just so I can live their lifestyle. When I want to hit the escape button. Over and over.

I am trying to judiciously cut some obligations before I crash and burn, rather than quitting everything... as tempting as that may be at this moment.

 Today, I:
  • Quit a part-time job cleaning businesses that was taking up 3 nights a week. 
  • Removed my cell number from my business line so it doesn't ring to me.
  • Set up an email vacation response for my weekly days off. 
  • Deleted my work email address from my mail application. 
Not too shabby. Those four steps probably saved me 20-30 hours a week of time and hassle.

Now, if I can just learn to not get overloaded in the first place.... (oh, it's just this one little teeny tiny extra thing, or just for a little bit, or it really helps my family, or my husband needs me to, or my child asked me to and he/she isn't doing much, or a friend asked, or I need the money slippery slope.... BAM- right back to mega overload)

Have you hit the 'escape' button lately?

Related Links I Love: (because I'm a research dork)

8 comments :

  1. Hi Julie - seems like you've started your blog - and that's (surprisingly) such a supportive thing to do as I'm sure you'll find out .. enjoy joining us and the A-Z.

    Well done on clearing out and deciding what to do etc - we can all so easily do too much ..

    Good luck and see you around .. cheers Hilary (I came via Tina's IWSG post of yesterday)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I wondered if adding this blog into the mix was going to fall on the positive or negative side of the escape equation.... thanks for sharing about the supportive nature of this challenge! Your blog looks fascinating! I work in a personalized learning program and will be sharing your Bare Bones post with several students.

      Delete
  2. Well done for cutting some of the nonsense from your life. May I suggest two books: 'In Praise of Slow' by Carl Honore and 'Mindfulness: a practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world' by Mark Williams and Danny Penman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you can suggest books! I'm a total bibliophile. I just requested them from the library system and found another that sounded interesting for the mom-taxi-me "Mindfulness to go : how to meditate while you're on the move / David Harp". Thanks! I like the fact that you used the word nonsense. If I would just ask myself "Is this meaningful or is this nonsense?" I could probably cull a lot of potential time drains.

      Delete
  3. Nice to meet you, Julie. I found you through Tina.
    I know what you mean about trying to find time for yourself.
    I've made a radical move during the last few days that will give me time to do more for myself and my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Jamaica, huh? Warmth and sunshine... Your books sound really interesting. I'm looking forward to reading more about them.

      Delete
  4. Great post. It's the tyranny of the urgent that often gets in the way of the important. I think I need to hit my escape button, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to visit your blog, but didn't see a link on your profile... can you share your URL? Thanks!

      Delete